What is holistic dentistry?
In holistic dentistry, a dental problem is viewed not as a single problem but how it can impact overall health and quality of life. This new thinking has brought about different treatment techniques and the use of non-toxic materials (in dental treatment) which are not harmful to the body.
What are the benefits?
In addition to helping restore the smile, a holistic dentist focuses on the patient’s health and well-being. For example, having amalgam (silver) fillings can pose a risk to health due to the mercury contained in the amalgam fillings. Mercury, when ingested or vapors are inhaled, is known to cause mercury toxicity.
A holistic dentist, utilizes the following treatment plan, to remove mercury from the person’s smile:
- Safe removal of amalgam fillings from your smile.
- Apply an appropriate restoration method – re-filling with bio compatible materials, root canal therapy, or a crown – to mend the problem tooth.
- Administer a detoxification regimen to remove mercury and other harmful chemicals from the body.
What can I expect from a holistic dentist?
A holistic dentist will always use bio compatible choices, materials, and advanced techniques to address a dental problem. For example:
- No mercury is used in any dental treatment.
- Use of hypnosis to control dental anxiety and pain.
- Prior to any treatment regimen, conduct bio compatibility testing to ascertain if the patient may be sensitive to certain compounds and chemicals.
- Natural periodontal care, using oral hygiene products that contain all natural essential oils and herbs are used. In advanced cases, non-surgical treatment using laser and ozone is recommended.
- The use of digital dental x-rays will ensure the patient’s exposure to radiation is minimal.
- Oral examinations are performed using lasers, to help identify micro cavities.
A dentist offers holistic dentistry services. The use of natural, non-toxic materials in treatments and procedures ensures that the patient receives holistic dental care that has a positive impact on one’s health and quality of life.